pyraknet allows you to concentrate on your game or application rather then writing a your own networking code. It is straightforward to implement and you only need a small amount of UDP networking knowledge.
- Easy to implement
- Cross platform
- High performance
- Low bandwidth overhead
- Automatic peer management. Each client is assigned an identifier.
- Optionally specify UDP packets to be reliable -- packets will automatically resend themselves if dropped.
- Optionally specify UDP packets to arrive in the right order, or to be discarded if it receives a packet out of order.
pyraknet is new and is currently in development with other projects. I don't consider it stable, although it has not crashed on me yet and has worked flawlessly.
The source code for RakNet is distributed with pyraknet, so there is no need to download it separately. See InstallationGuide for the dependencies required and the different ways to install pyraknet.
Mac OS X Installer
Source code online
As of version 0.1.4, pyraknet uses the GNU Lesser General Public License.
RakNet is free to use for non-commercial use and purchasable for commercial use. It uses the Creative Commons Attribution - NonCommercial 2.5 license.
I have very recently added a group on Google Groups for pyraknet. Feel free to make suggestions, comments and ask for support.
Here is a list of projects using pyraknet. If your project is not on this list, please announce it on the mailing list with the URL and a short description of your project.
- Sol - A space game in development using PyOgre
- Nibbler - An unfinished multiplayer snake clone using pygame
- Roids - An unfinished asteroids clone with an RTS element using pygame